Thursday, 6 September 2012

Finally... a good day!

Wednesday 25th July 2012

Mum has had an amazing 3 good days in a row.  Aunty Barbara was over from Northern Ireland last week and she had a terrible week, so it's a shame that Barbara hasn't been able to witness this positive turn.  Mum's problems are now more mental than cancer related and it's great that she's beginning to feel a little bit more positive.  Dad is reluctant to say that she might be turning the corner, but I'm feeling good about this!

So today is the day when Mum has made the decision to attempt to come to our house in Shamley Green.  She hasn't been to visit us since the week before Christmas and hasn't seen our lounge redecorated, new blinds, curtains and new furniture in our bedroom.  I'm looking forward to showing her what we have done and the plans for our new extension. I'm so excited that I could burst.  I spend the morning hoovering and tidying up - anyone would think the Queen is coming to visit.

The car pulls up in the drive at about 11am, as soon as Mum steps out of the car I wrap her up in a massive bear hug and we both have tears in our eyes.  We are both so overwhelmed and delighted that she is here.  It is a really hot day so I have set Dylan's paddling pool up in the garden and have the parasol positioned over the sun loungers so that we can lounge in comfort.  We are able to spend the whole day in the garden reading magazines, eating ice creams and watching Dylan splashing about having fun.  You can see Mum in the photo below looking very relaxed and well.


Just before lunch I have to pop into Cranleigh to pick up some food and Mum decides she wants to come too.  I am surprised but delighted that she wants to come.  It's just like old times!  We walk down the high street and chit-chat about nothing in particular.  She is not suffering from problems with her speech today and she's not shaking or struggling to walk like she normally does.  She is obviously frail but she's coping remarkably well.  I just can't believe how normal today is!

There are a few times in the day when Mum has to go and lie down on our bed because she's feeling exhausted, but it is almost 30 degrees outside so I persuade myself that the heat has a lot to do with it.  I think Dad is also enjoying a change of scenery today as he is unable to get out much now that looking after Mum is a full time job.  They leave around 4.30pm and I just sit down and smile to myself before texting the family and announcing on Facebook what an amazing day we have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment